2 charged after restaurant altercation leads to police shooting
February 24, 2014 (CHICAGO) -- Authorities have charged two people who were allegedly involved in a disturbance with an off-duty Chicago police officer Saturday night outside a restaurant in the Hermosa neighborhood on the Northwest Side.
Rene Bustamante, 20, was charged with one count of felony aggravated assault of an officer with a firearm, and Daniel Delgado, 28, was charged with one count of felony aggravated assault of a peace officer with a weapon, according to a statement from Chicago police.
The shooting happened about 9 p.m. in the 4300 block of West Fullerton Avenue, authorities said.
The off-duty officer was at a restaurant with his family in the same block and saw two men inside "causing a disturbance," Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said.
The officer announced he was a policeman and escorted the men out of the restaurant, police said. Camden said the two were waiting outside the restaurant for the officer, one armed with a knife, the other with a gun.
The officer fired his weapon three times, striking one of the men in the leg, Camden said.
While both men took off in their vehicle, the officer was able to give a description of the two to responding officers, Camden said. They were taken into custody a short distance away, police said.
The man who was shot in the leg was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center where he is expected to be treated and released, Camden said. The other man was not injured.
Police did not clarify whether Bustamante or Delgado was the one who was shot. Both Bustamante, of the 3900 block of West Barry Avenue, and Delgado, of the 3300 block of North Lawndale Avenue, are expected to appear in bond court Monday.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2014.)
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 24 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 15 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 16 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 2 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
43 min ago