Michelle Obama to sponsor sub 'U.S.S. Illinois'
May 28, 2012 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- First Lady Michelle Obama joins a tradition of first ladies who have sponsored U.S. Navy submarines.
Mrs. Obama accepted an invitation to sponsor the U.S.S. Illinois from Navy Secretary Ray Mabus at the White House Monday.
The Illinois is a Virginia-class submarine, which is the navy's newest class of attack submarines, set to join the fleet in 2015.
As sponsor, the first lady will establish a special link to the Illinois, her sailors, and their families.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Fmr. student allegedly threatened Glenbard East H.S.
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Four schools spared during final CPS vote
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Memorial Day: Travel down, gas prices up
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos