Peoria region seen as major US exporter
May 30, 2012 (PEORIA, Ill.) -- Federal figures show the Peoria region is a major U.S. exporter, sending abroad more merchandise per person than any other part of the country.
Peoria's port district TransPORT said Tuesday the five most popular products exported from Greater Peoria are machinery, fabricated metal products, chemicals, transportation equipment and electrical equipment.
Most of the products are headed for Chile, Canada, Brazil, Belgium and Australia.
The Peoria region exported nearly $30,000 worth of products per person in 2010. That's according to the International Trade Administration, a bureau of the U.S. Department of Commerce. Exports totaled more than $11 billion, making the Peoria region the 22nd largest export market in the nation.
Manufacturers exporting to world markets from Peoria include Caterpillar, Komatsu, Case New Holland, Kress Manufacturing and Excel Foundry.
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 51 min ago
- Milwaukee District West Metra trains stopped on tracks 8 min ago
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee 52 min ago
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance 30 min ago
- Blackhawks fans show support with lawns, office decor
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday 56 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Alex Spourdalakis mom, godmother take 5th in court
- Firefighter in prison for wife murder still gets pension
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
51 min ago
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
30 min ago
- Yale Elementary students face reality of...
49 min ago