Trooper struck, killed by semi during traffic stop
November 26, 2012 (WLS) -- An Illinois State Trooper was struck and killed by a semi while conducting a traffic stop at 9 a.m. Monday on I-55.
Trooper Kyle Deatherage, 32, was struck by the truck-tractor near milepost 62. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Trooper Deatherage left a legacy of courage and duty and today he is surrounded by the respect of his fellow officers and by the love of his friends and family. Our hearts are heavy with grief, but they are also strengthened by Trooper Deatherage's brave calling," Illinois State Police Director Hiram Grau said in a statement.
Deatherage has been a member of the Illinois State Police since 2009. He is survived by his wife, Sarah, and two young children.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 17 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Newsviews: I-DOT Road Construction
29 min ago