Loved ones mourn fallen state trooper Kyle Deatherage
December 1, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Funeral services were scheduled Saturday for Illinois State Trooper Kyle Deatherage.
Deatherage, 32, was struck by a tractor trailer earlier this week while conducting a traffic stop on Interstate 55 near Litchfield, about 55 miles northeast of St. Louis, Mo.
Deatherage was a married father of two children and had been a trooper since May 2009.
The following partial statement was released by Captain Scott Compton, District 18 Commander, on the behalf of Deatherage's family.
"The family of Kyle would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming outpouring of support in this tragic situation. The love and compassion is something that we will cherish in our hearts forever. Without a doubt, this incident devastates our family, friends, and community. Our lives will be forever changed as we remember the great husband, father, brother, son, and friend that Kyle was. However we would like everyone to recognize the vital and dangerous role that officers play in keeping us safe. We ask that as we use our roadways, please practice safe driving and be aware of our emergency safety workers." There was no word Saturday on any charges.
The location for the funeral was Triad High School in Troy.
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash 9 min ago
- FEMA gives Des Plaines River homeowners option to sell
- Freed inmate: New investigation 'like a nightmare'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 48 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake