Loved ones mourn fallen state trooper Kyle Deatherage
December 1, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Funeral services were scheduled Saturday for Illinois State Trooper Kyle Deatherage.
Deatherage, 32, was struck by a tractor trailer earlier this week while conducting a traffic stop on Interstate 55 near Litchfield, about 55 miles northeast of St. Louis, Mo.
Deatherage was a married father of two children and had been a trooper since May 2009.
The following partial statement was released by Captain Scott Compton, District 18 Commander, on the behalf of Deatherage's family.
"The family of Kyle would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming outpouring of support in this tragic situation. The love and compassion is something that we will cherish in our hearts forever. Without a doubt, this incident devastates our family, friends, and community. Our lives will be forever changed as we remember the great husband, father, brother, son, and friend that Kyle was. However we would like everyone to recognize the vital and dangerous role that officers play in keeping us safe. We ask that as we use our roadways, please practice safe driving and be aware of our emergency safety workers." There was no word Saturday on any charges.
The location for the funeral was Triad High School in Troy.
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Accident closes Chicago Skyway inbound lanes, 5 injured 59 min ago
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked
- Pope honored as Catholics gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe 26 min ago
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths 55 min ago
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs 54 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest 58 min ago
- Styrofoam product ban proposed in Chicago
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Settlement reached after lottery winner's...
38 min ago