Supports believe Ill. gay marriage bill to pass this week
January 6, 2013 (WLS) -- It's stalled in Springfield, but supporters of Illinois' gay marriage bill say they believe it will pass this week.
Sunday, the archdiocese of Chicago used that platform to remind parishioners were the church stands.
The General Assembly is being urged by the president to legalize gay marriage in Illinois.
The executive committee voted 8-5 to send the bill to the Senate floor and some lawmakers have unveiled plans to take up the measure in these closing days of the current General Assembly. Supporters believe they have the votes to get their wish.
Gay rights organizations held a rally outside the Thompson Center on Saturday as lawmakers were meeting inside to discuss pension reform.
They encouraged people to push for the gay marriage bill to pass.
"It's not fair, we deserve fairness and we deserve equality in this state," said Anthony Martinez, Civil Rights Agenda.
But the archdiocese of Chicago is hoping lawmakers and residents think things through.
A letter was given out to parishioners at Holy Name Cathedral Sunday morning said the church is not against gay relationships, but against gay marriage.
"I'm so pleased to see the Catholic Church open up more and reach out and in terms of same sex marriage," said parishioner Janet Bedin. In the letter it says they are not anti-gay, which I'm so glad to see as well, and that they accept everyone."
The cardinal reminded parishioners to focus on core church beliefs.
"There is a lot of love, authentic love, that doesn't express itself in marriage. We all know people who are truly loving people and they are of different sexual persuasions, but here what is at issue is changing the nature of marriage. This is a natural right," said Francis Cardinal George.
Both sides may have to wait.
With the deadline for pension reform looming, the gay marriage issue may not come up until after the new assembly is sworn in.
illinois news, diane pathieu
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits