Downstate prison inmate death ruled a suicide
January 9, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) -- A coroner has determined an Illinois prison inmate's death Tuesday was a suicide.
Montgomery County Coroner Rick Broaddus said Wednesday that 26-year-old Christopher G. Nichol hanged himself with a bedsheet at Graham Correctional Center in Hillsboro.
Broaddus says Nichol's cellmate found Nichol after returning from the prison gymnasium. He says Nichol tied the bedsheet around the metal frame of a bunk bed.
Attempts at resuscitation failed and Nichol was declared dead at 7:33 p.m.
An Illinois Department of Corrections spokeswoman said late Tuesday the matter is under investigation. She did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
State records show Nichol was eight months into a six-year term from Marion County for aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim older than five.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 42 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 12 min ago
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted 5 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 32 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 52 min ago
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
12 min ago
- Charles "Peanut" Tillman 5k Walk/ Run
25 min ago