Downstate prison inmate death ruled a suicide
January 9, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) -- A coroner has determined an Illinois prison inmate's death Tuesday was a suicide.
Montgomery County Coroner Rick Broaddus said Wednesday that 26-year-old Christopher G. Nichol hanged himself with a bedsheet at Graham Correctional Center in Hillsboro.
Broaddus says Nichol's cellmate found Nichol after returning from the prison gymnasium. He says Nichol tied the bedsheet around the metal frame of a bunk bed.
Attempts at resuscitation failed and Nichol was declared dead at 7:33 p.m.
An Illinois Department of Corrections spokeswoman said late Tuesday the matter is under investigation. She did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
State records show Nichol was eight months into a six-year term from Marion County for aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim older than five.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot