Downstate prison inmate death ruled a suicide
January 9, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) -- A coroner has determined an Illinois prison inmate's death Tuesday was a suicide.
Montgomery County Coroner Rick Broaddus said Wednesday that 26-year-old Christopher G. Nichol hanged himself with a bedsheet at Graham Correctional Center in Hillsboro.
Broaddus says Nichol's cellmate found Nichol after returning from the prison gymnasium. He says Nichol tied the bedsheet around the metal frame of a bunk bed.
Attempts at resuscitation failed and Nichol was declared dead at 7:33 p.m.
An Illinois Department of Corrections spokeswoman said late Tuesday the matter is under investigation. She did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
State records show Nichol was eight months into a six-year term from Marion County for aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim older than five.
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western 53 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake