Downstate prison inmate death ruled a suicide
January 9, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) -- A coroner has determined an Illinois prison inmate's death Tuesday was a suicide.
Montgomery County Coroner Rick Broaddus said Wednesday that 26-year-old Christopher G. Nichol hanged himself with a bedsheet at Graham Correctional Center in Hillsboro.
Broaddus says Nichol's cellmate found Nichol after returning from the prison gymnasium. He says Nichol tied the bedsheet around the metal frame of a bunk bed.
Attempts at resuscitation failed and Nichol was declared dead at 7:33 p.m.
An Illinois Department of Corrections spokeswoman said late Tuesday the matter is under investigation. She did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
State records show Nichol was eight months into a six-year term from Marion County for aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim older than five.
- Fans subdued after Blackhawks lose Game 3
- Mysterious substance closes Indiana beaches
- Danny Green, Manu Ginobili lead Spurs to Game 5 win over Heat
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruins beat Hawks 2-0, take series lead 2-1
- Mother convicted of killing son exonerated
- Man tried to sexually assault girl, 14, at gunpoint: Police
- Bill Daley proposes plan to end pension deadlock
- Chicago violence kills 8; 46 shot over weekend
- Ex-Chicago Ald. Medrano convicted in bribery case
- Cops: Man crawled through window, abused girl
- Evanston man accused of stealing, selling, re-stealing car
- Chief Keef pleads guilty to speeding, faces 2nd paternity suit
- abcnews: NSA Leaker Alleges US Spied on Allies
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos