Quinn announces spring construction projects
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Ill. Governor Pat Quinn has announced $486 million in road and bridge projects that will be started this spring, one of the largest early season construction programs in the state's history.
Quinn released a list of nearly 200 road and bridge projects across the state that will begin in the coming weeks.
"Illinois has a world-class transportation system and we are making it even stronger by carrying out one of the largest spring construction programs ever," Governor Quinn said. "This bold investment will help put thousands of people to work improving our roads and bridges and laying the foundation for economic development for years to come."
The governor made the announcement on Chicago's South Side, where a $32 million investment will rebuild the Stony Island Feeder to the Bishop Ford Freeway/I-94. The project at the interchange, which handles up to 64,000 vehicles per day, involves the repair, reconstruction, removal and replacement of seven bridges. Scheduled for completion in 2014, the project also involves resurfacing and replacing pavement and intersection improvements. Lighting and signage will also be updated.
IDOT also announced additional Chicago-area transportation investments including: a $19.4 million bridge replacement project at Cumberland Avenue over the Kennedy Expressway, $3.5 million in additional bridge repairs on the Kennedy, and $2.6 million on resurfacing projects on IL Rt. 43/Harlem Avenue at Higgins Avenue in Chicago and on West 127th Street in Crestwood.
IDOT is offering contractors a reimbursement rate of $10 an hour for hiring graduates of the Highway Construction Careers Training Program, an IDOT-sponsored initiative to encourage women and minorities to pursue careers in the transportation construction industry.
Combined with the Illinois Tollway's $12 billion capital program, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future, the state of Illinois is carrying out one of the largest capital construction efforts in the nation.
For more information on the work being carried out by IDOT this spring, go to: http://www.dot.il.gov/desenv/042613/042613letg.html.
illinois news, diane pathieu
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
42 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos