Quinn announces spring construction projects
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Ill. Governor Pat Quinn has announced $486 million in road and bridge projects that will be started this spring, one of the largest early season construction programs in the state's history.
Quinn released a list of nearly 200 road and bridge projects across the state that will begin in the coming weeks.
"Illinois has a world-class transportation system and we are making it even stronger by carrying out one of the largest spring construction programs ever," Governor Quinn said. "This bold investment will help put thousands of people to work improving our roads and bridges and laying the foundation for economic development for years to come."
The governor made the announcement on Chicago's South Side, where a $32 million investment will rebuild the Stony Island Feeder to the Bishop Ford Freeway/I-94. The project at the interchange, which handles up to 64,000 vehicles per day, involves the repair, reconstruction, removal and replacement of seven bridges. Scheduled for completion in 2014, the project also involves resurfacing and replacing pavement and intersection improvements. Lighting and signage will also be updated.
IDOT also announced additional Chicago-area transportation investments including: a $19.4 million bridge replacement project at Cumberland Avenue over the Kennedy Expressway, $3.5 million in additional bridge repairs on the Kennedy, and $2.6 million on resurfacing projects on IL Rt. 43/Harlem Avenue at Higgins Avenue in Chicago and on West 127th Street in Crestwood.
IDOT is offering contractors a reimbursement rate of $10 an hour for hiring graduates of the Highway Construction Careers Training Program, an IDOT-sponsored initiative to encourage women and minorities to pursue careers in the transportation construction industry.
Combined with the Illinois Tollway's $12 billion capital program, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future, the state of Illinois is carrying out one of the largest capital construction efforts in the nation.
For more information on the work being carried out by IDOT this spring, go to: http://www.dot.il.gov/desenv/042613/042613letg.html.
illinois news, diane pathieu
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 3 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 47 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 44 min ago
- Block 37 developer indicted on federal fraud charges 7 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 55 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice 14 min ago
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts 24 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
33 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
44 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
3 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim...
14 min ago