Drivers urged to be careful in highway work zones
April 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As highway construction ramps up with the warmer weather, state leaders are urging motorists to be extra careful when driving in work zones.
Illinois has more than 7000 work zone accidents a year.
In 2012, there were 19 accident deaths in highway work areas and all but two involved motorists.
Officials emphasize that the ban on cell phone use in work zones is a major factor in reducing accidents.
- 4 children shot on South Side 1 min ago
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout