Quinn announces more money for 'Welcome Home Heroes' program
May 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Governor Pat Quinn announced that the state is adding $5 million to a program that helps veterans buy their own homes.
He made the announcement at the home of former Army Reservist Janelle Hamilton.
Hamilton is a Chicago police officer who moved into her house two months ago as a part of the "Welcome Home Heroes" program.
Eligible veterans get a loan, a cash grant and a tax credit.
Quinn says the program has helped a thousand military families buy homes since it started 18 months ago.
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 46 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
43 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
46 min ago