$73M for flood victims in Ill so far
June 3, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Governor Pat Quinn today announced more than $73 million in federal aid has been approved to date to help more than 26,000 people and households affected by severe flooding in April.
The assistance includes grants to help with disaster-related expenses such as temporary home rental, home repairs and replacement of damaged personal items. In addition, nearly $2 million in low-interest loans to people and businesses have been approved to help with recovery.
Thirty-three counties were affected by flooding, including Brown, Bureau, Calhoun, Clark, Cook, Crawford, DeKalb, Douglas, DuPage, Fulton, Grundy, Henderson, Henry, Kane, Kendall, Knox, Lake, LaSalle, Livingston, Marshall, Mason, McDonough, McHenry, Peoria, Pike, Rock Island, Schuyler, Stark, Tazewell, Whiteside, Will, Winnebago and Woodford.
Anyone affected by the April floods is encouraged to register for federal assistance. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which administers the assistance program, has a toll-free telephone number (800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for hearing and speech impaired) to apply for assistance. Registration also can be done online at disasterassistance.gov.
Governor Quinn also has requested federal assistance to help local governments in more than three dozen counties recover 75 percent of their eligible flood-related expenses. The state is waiting for a decision on those requests.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 4 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 6 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 30 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe 35 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
4 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
6 min ago