Rockford area Catholic parishes OK'd to sponsor Boy Scout troops
June 6, 2013 (ROCKFORD, Ill.) (WLS) -- The head of the Catholic diocese in Rockford says parishes in his region can keep sponsoring Boy Scout troops.
The statement comes after the scouting group's national organization said it would start allowing openly gay members.
Catholic organizations in Rockford sponsor 42 scouting groups.
The Most Reverend David Malloy says the recent decision by the scouts does not seem to provide an obstacle to the church's sponsorship of local scouting troops.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos