Rockford area Catholic parishes OK'd to sponsor Boy Scout troops
June 6, 2013 (ROCKFORD, Ill.) (WLS) -- The head of the Catholic diocese in Rockford says parishes in his region can keep sponsoring Boy Scout troops.
The statement comes after the scouting group's national organization said it would start allowing openly gay members.
Catholic organizations in Rockford sponsor 42 scouting groups.
The Most Reverend David Malloy says the recent decision by the scouts does not seem to provide an obstacle to the church's sponsorship of local scouting troops.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 29 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 1 min ago
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 20 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
29 min ago