FBI: I-55 bandit strikes 3 banks in 30 days
September 11, 2013 (ST. LOUIS) (WLS) -- Officials believe the same robber has struck 10 banks in five states, including Illinois. The FBI is calling the serial bank robber the ''I-55 bandit.''
Officials said he initially targeted banks along the I-55 corridor near St. Louis, but then expanded his operation to West Virginia, Maryland and Tennessee. He's struck three banks in the last 30 days, FBI agents say.
"The more often a bank robber commits a crime or commits a bank robbery, chances are, they'll get caught because they leave behind more clues," Rebecca Wu, FBI, St. Louis Field Office, said.
The FBI put up billboard along the I-55 corridor with the suspect's picture.
The I-55 bandit is white, in his 20s and has strawberry blond hair. He wears dark glasses and a hat during the bank robberies. He implies he's armed and then hands a note to bank tellers demanding money.
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD