FBI: I-55 bandit strikes 3 banks in 30 days
September 11, 2013 (ST. LOUIS) (WLS) -- Officials believe the same robber has struck 10 banks in five states, including Illinois. The FBI is calling the serial bank robber the ''I-55 bandit.''
Officials said he initially targeted banks along the I-55 corridor near St. Louis, but then expanded his operation to West Virginia, Maryland and Tennessee. He's struck three banks in the last 30 days, FBI agents say.
"The more often a bank robber commits a crime or commits a bank robbery, chances are, they'll get caught because they leave behind more clues," Rebecca Wu, FBI, St. Louis Field Office, said.
The FBI put up billboard along the I-55 corridor with the suspect's picture.
The I-55 bandit is white, in his 20s and has strawberry blond hair. He wears dark glasses and a hat during the bank robberies. He implies he's armed and then hands a note to bank tellers demanding money.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in 44 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club 41 min ago
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Operation Santa answers kids' letters, delivers hope
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot