Rates released for new Illinois Health Insurance Marketplace
September 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- More information is being made public about how the new health care law will affect patients in Illinois. In one week, the new health care system kicks in.
On Tuesday night, millions of people in Illinois are finally getting a little idea of what they may pay under the new plan. It's called the Illinois Health Insurance Marketplace.
According Governor Quinn, 95 percent of Illinois residents will have access to at least 34 different plans.
So, far we're getting the monthly rates for only the lowest cost plans. For example, a 25-year-old nonsmoker will pay $120 a month in Chicago. For a 40-year-old nonsmoker, it would be $152 a month in Chicago. A 60-year-old will pay $323 a month.
Subsidies may be available depending on how much money a person makes. On Tuesday, President Obama and former president Bill Clinton took to the same stage to promote the new health care law that President Obama championed after Clinton's own efforts to reform health care 20 years ago failed.
Now President Obama has turned to the man he calls his "secretary of explaining stuff."
"When you have universal enrollment, you can manage your costs better and cut inflation down. Just want to know one thing, inflation in health care costs dropped 4 percent for 3 years in a row for the first time in 50 years," said Clinton.
People who do not have insurance through their employer and who do not buy insurance will face penalties.
ABC7 is told all rates should be available in Illinois on October 1. That's also when people will be able to access the marketplace in three different ways: online, at the state's help desk or by visiting a partner organization to obtain in-person assistance.
Illinois-specific ACA information:
Affordable Care Act information for Illinois
General information about the Affordable Care Act:
Great resource for small businesses and the ACA:
ACA health insurance marketplace:
Affordable Care Act, illinois news, cheryl burton
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 6 min ago
- Glenview, Chicago cops accused of lying in court 11 min ago
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools 33 min ago
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos