Bill filed to require CPS to change grant rules
October 9. 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An Illinois lawmaker wants to change the way Chicago Public Schools gets state grant money.
State Representative Sandy Pihos says it's unfair that Chicago automatically gets a percentage of all state education dollars to spend at its own discretion and the state's other districts submit expense claims and are reimbursed based on the number of students they serve.
Pihos has filed a bill that would require Chicago to adhere to the same rules.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd Bennett says the district is following the state law.
chicago public schools, illinois news
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 34 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 21 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- Santa hands out coats to kids at Englewood police station 10 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos