Bill filed to require CPS to change grant rules
October 9. 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An Illinois lawmaker wants to change the way Chicago Public Schools gets state grant money.
State Representative Sandy Pihos says it's unfair that Chicago automatically gets a percentage of all state education dollars to spend at its own discretion and the state's other districts submit expense claims and are reimbursed based on the number of students they serve.
Pihos has filed a bill that would require Chicago to adhere to the same rules.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd Bennett says the district is following the state law.
chicago public schools, illinois news
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes 50 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 11 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
5 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park...
50 min ago