Bill filed to require CPS to change grant rules
October 9. 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An Illinois lawmaker wants to change the way Chicago Public Schools gets state grant money.
State Representative Sandy Pihos says it's unfair that Chicago automatically gets a percentage of all state education dollars to spend at its own discretion and the state's other districts submit expense claims and are reimbursed based on the number of students they serve.
Pihos has filed a bill that would require Chicago to adhere to the same rules.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd Bennett says the district is following the state law.
chicago public schools, illinois news
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet 10 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment 43 min ago
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 42 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All