Friendliest small town awarded to Kewanee in the world downstate Illinois
October 17, 2013 (KEWANEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A downstate Illinois town has been named the friendliest small town in the world.
Rand McNally recently gave that honor to the town of Kewanee in its "Best of the Road" contest. Kewanee is about 150 miles southwest of Chicago. Locals say it's a great place to raise a family.
They point to places like Jo-Jo's gas station, which they say is the friendliest place in town.
Town officials hope the award will boost tourism. Kewanee has suffered from a loss in jobs and industry over the years.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 45 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 50 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- 7 in :77