Richard Calica, ex-DCFS director, dies of cancer
December 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Richard Calica, the former director of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, has died.
Calica led the department from December 2011 until last month. He resigned after being diagnosed with cancer.
Under Calica's leadership, DCFS reduced investigator caseloads and the number of backlogged cases.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn released a statement expressing his condolences. He called Calica "a true public servant and a dedicated advocate for our most vulnerable children."
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos