Richard Calica, ex-DCFS director, dies of cancer
December 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Richard Calica, the former director of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, has died.
Calica led the department from December 2011 until last month. He resigned after being diagnosed with cancer.
Under Calica's leadership, DCFS reduced investigator caseloads and the number of backlogged cases.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn released a statement expressing his condolences. He called Calica "a true public servant and a dedicated advocate for our most vulnerable children."
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in...
11 min ago
- LSD standoff suspect wanted in wife's murder
9 min ago