Mark Kirk honored for gay rights support; Republican senator to receive Illinois Freedom Award at gala
February 8, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Illinois Senator Mark Kirk was honored Saturday night by the civil rights organization Equality Illinois. The group held its annual gala at the Hilton Chicago.
Equality Illinois works to protect the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people.
Kirk received the Freedom Award for his support of marriage equality.
The Chicago Urban League, filmmaker Lana Wachowki and State Farm Insurance were also honored.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap