IU college student Lauren Spierer missing
June 6, 2011 (BLOOMINGTON, Ind.) (WLS) -- Police and volunteers are searching for a 20-year-old sophomore at Indiana University who was reported missing early Friday morning.
Lauren Spierer was about three blocks from her Indiana University apartment when she disappeared around 4:30 a.m. Friday near the intersection of 11th Street and College Avenue. She was walking alone after a night of partying with friends, according to the AP.
Her cell phone and keys were found a block away.
Surveillance video shows Spierer, who is from New York, did not arrive at her apartment building after leaving her friends just a few blocks away. Searchers have been looking in nearby wooded areas, lakes and construction sites. Police are using dogs as well.
Bloomington, Indiana, police say she was wearing black stretch pants, a tank top and no shoes. She's 4'11," 90 to 100 pounds, with blond hair, blue eyes. Her friends have created a facebook page for the search, http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_135782709829261.
Spierer's family and friends are hoping someone will find her.
"If we knew anything, we would have found her by now. There's not much information to tell. I wish there was but there are really no leads, nothing," said Hadar Tamir, Spierer's roommate.
Family members also say if someone finds her, she needs to go to a hospital immediately because she has a heart condition and is supposed to take medication daily.
Anyone with information should contact Bloomington police at 812-339-4477.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home