Oldest tree in Lake Co. to be cut down
September 30, 2011 (MERRILLVILLE, Ind.) (WLS) -- The oldest tree in Lake County, and possibly the state of Indiana, has died.
The bur oak, thought to be somewhere between 500 to 800 years old, is located in the yard of a home in Merrillville.
The tree was once featured in a 1955 issue of National Geographic. Merrillville officials say it's unclear how the tree died, but they may be able to figure it out after they cut in down.
It's going to cost about $4,000 to remove the tree. Officials say they are taking donations towards the cost of the removal.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 15 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 31 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- 6 shot at party in Austin 9 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Japanese jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu 16 min ago
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos