Gary, Hammond vote for mayors
November 8, 2011 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- It's Election Day in Indiana and there are several mayoral elections.
In Gary, residents are voting for a new mayor as incumbent Rudy clay is retiring. He has thrown his support to Democrat Karen Freeman Wilson. If she wins she'd be the first African American female mayor in Gary.
Wilson had three opponents, Republican Charles Smith, Independent Lavetta Sparks Wade and Eddie Tarver.
In East Chicago, residents are also voting for the mayor's office. Incumbent Democrat Anthony Copeland is opposed by Republican Arthur Santos Senior and Independent John Aguilera. Copeland was chosen to fill out the remaining term of ousted former mayor George Pabey.
Polls in Indiana are open until 6 p.m.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 49 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train 22 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
45 min ago