Gary, Hammond vote for mayors
November 8, 2011 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- It's Election Day in Indiana and there are several mayoral elections.
In Gary, residents are voting for a new mayor as incumbent Rudy clay is retiring. He has thrown his support to Democrat Karen Freeman Wilson. If she wins she'd be the first African American female mayor in Gary.
Wilson had three opponents, Republican Charles Smith, Independent Lavetta Sparks Wade and Eddie Tarver.
In East Chicago, residents are also voting for the mayor's office. Incumbent Democrat Anthony Copeland is opposed by Republican Arthur Santos Senior and Independent John Aguilera. Copeland was chosen to fill out the remaining term of ousted former mayor George Pabey.
Polls in Indiana are open until 6 p.m.
- Video: Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's Day
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future 32 min ago
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million 17 min ago
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...