NW Indiana couple sentenced to federal prison in extortion plot
April 27, 2012 (HAMMOND, Ill.) (WLS) -- A northwest Indiana couple has been sentenced to federal prison for an extortion plot.
Juan Hacha of Hammond will spend just over seven years in prison. His wife, Ixchel Guadalupe Solano, received 3 and a half years.
Federal prosecutors say the couple extorted $54,000 from a Chicago man who had a previous relationship with Solano.
The couple made threats over the phone to make the victim believe Solano and her children would be harmed unless the victim paid the money.
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire 9 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 18 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed 45 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Carly Rousso trial date set for fatal DUI crash
- Quarry to resume operations following McCook earthquake
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Political consultant hit by falling ice 55 min ago
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- Starbucks to allow customers to tip via app 30 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
18 min ago