NW Indiana couple sentenced to federal prison in extortion plot
April 27, 2012 (HAMMOND, Ill.) (WLS) -- A northwest Indiana couple has been sentenced to federal prison for an extortion plot.
Juan Hacha of Hammond will spend just over seven years in prison. His wife, Ixchel Guadalupe Solano, received 3 and a half years.
Federal prosecutors say the couple extorted $54,000 from a Chicago man who had a previous relationship with Solano.
The couple made threats over the phone to make the victim believe Solano and her children would be harmed unless the victim paid the money.
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 40 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday 41 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 4 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
4 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected...
41 min ago
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
40 min ago