Northwest Indiana doctor helps man walk again
May 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A serious car accident three years ago left Jorge Hernandez severely burned, and he lost both of his legs, but a doctor from Munster, Indiana, worked hard to give Hernandez the ability to walk again.
"At first it was devastating, angry and crying all the time," said Hernandez. "I realized God loved me and he left me here because I had a 5 percent chance to live."
Hernandez, 28, is a burn victim From Las Vegas and a double-leg amputee who is getting a second chance at life thanks to Dr. Vikram Choudhary, a Munster doctor who gave him prosthetic legs in December. On Thursday, he saw his doctor for the last time before returning home.
On Wednesday, Hernandez was able to walk on his own for the first time since the accident.
"[Dr. Choudhary] has changed my life," said Hernandez. "His energy, spirit and kindness, it is incredible. He is a great man, has changed my life. I can move forward and walk again...I walk like a baby, but it is a great feeling, to look down and see my shoes."
In 2009, Hernandez had 80 percent of his body burned in a car accident that left him in a coma for 90 days. He lost both his legs and had a great deal of damage to his hands.
Without health insurance, the young man could not raise enough money to cover the cost. Dr. Choudhary traveled to Las Vegas to meet with him. The doctor was so moved by the meeting, he called medical vendors to donate parts for the legs each leg, costing approximately $20,000.
Hernandez's insurance finally kicked in and paid for 80 percent of the cost of the prosthetics. The doctor's office paid for the remaining 20 percent
"I walk like a baby, but that is the process," Hernandez said. "Just to look down and see I have shoes on, just to stand up, I have been sitting around for such a long time, it is incredible."
"We did not want him to wait and would cover cost regardless of insurance," said Dr. Choudhary. "That is what we should all do as human beings, do the right thing."
"It really is up to me if I want to walk in a few months I am ready for the challenge," said Hernandez.
The doctor says that he and Hernandez are now lifelong friends. He hopes to eventually get him a more advance set of prosthetics and is willing to cover whatever costs are not covered by insurance.
The doctor does not expect Hernandez to continue rugby in the wheelchair, because he fully expects Hernandez to walk on his own.
indiana news, theresa gutierrez
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight' 46 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election 44 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday 27 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
15 min ago
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
46 min ago
- Let's Dish: Guinness Steak
23 min ago
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before...
44 min ago