2 charged in fatal Gary fire that killed a mother and daughter
August 2, 2012 (GARY, Ind.) -- Trevontay Milsap, 19, and Rafael Peluyeram, 20, both of Lake Station, Ind., have been charged with murder and arson Thursday in connection with a Gary apartment fire that claimed the lives of a mother and daughter on Wednesday.
Bernice King, 33, and her daughter Angel Harris, 14, were killed in the fire.
King was able to get all seven of her children out, except Harris.
Police said the suspects used Molotov cocktails to ignite the apartment, located in the 5800 block of Kennedy Terrace in the Lakeshore Dunes complex.
"You have an accelerant and you have a fire that burns real intense," said Gary Fire Investigator Stephen Johnson.
Police say the attack was fueled by a dispute between the two men and King's 18-year-old son over an XBox video game.
"There was a dispute over the XBox on Tuesday afternoon& Wednesday night the suspects came back and set fire to the aptm," said Gary Police Detective James Nielsen.
On Thursday, family members laid King and Harris to rest and expressed their gratitude over the arrests.
"They promised me they would do this and they kept their word. I thank them very much," said relative Janice King.
"I was there when everything happened. I just want to say thank you to the people who let us know who these people were," said relative Michelle King.
King is remembered as a hard worker.
"She was shy. She was always happy," said relative Linda Singh.
Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson praised the community for coming forward with information on the suspects.
"That's a good thing. That's the type of thing we want to encourage," Freeman-Wilson said.
indiana news, evelyn holmes
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North 8 min ago
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Todd Stroger not running for Cook Co. Board
- Operation Santa answers kids' letters, delivers hope
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot 56 min ago