Multiple accidents on I-65 leave 1 dead
August 18, 2012 (JASPER COUNTY, Ind.) (WLS) -- All lanes of I-65 in northwest Indiana have reopened after a series of crashes that left one person dead.
The accidents happened about 7 a.m. Saturday morning on I-65 in Jasper County near the town of Demotte, about 65 miles southeast of Chicago, and left cars, SUVs and semis scattered across the expressway.
The largest of the three crashes took place in the northbound lanes and involved 13 vehicles.
Six people were hurt. There was also a six-vehicle pileup in the southbound lanes and a minor, two car crash.
Indiana State Police say all this happened as a hay fire burned in a field not far from the expressway.
"The crash was the direct result of heavy smoke and some fog that had covered the interstate reducing visibility to less than 30 feet," said Sgt. Dan Leslie.
Police tried to divert traffic off of I-65, but there was a large backup because all lanes were closed for several hours after the crash.
Investigators have not released the name of the person killed.
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 44 min ago
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot 57 min ago
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
44 min ago
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side...
31 min ago
- CTA Red Line reconstruction officially...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos