Toll road worker struck, killed by car on I-90 near Michigan City, Ind.
October 2, 2012 (MICHIGAN CITY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A maintenance worker was struck and killed by a car early Tuesday morning on I-90 near the Michigan City exit.
Daniel J. Miller, 52, of LaPorte, was a 17-year employee of the Toll Road. He was getting equipment out of the back of a pickup truck on the shoulder of the tollway when he was struck by a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The driver of that vehicle, whose name was not released, was also killed in the crash.
Miller was pronounced dead at the scene. A second toll way worker, Kevin Standefer, 49, of LaPorte, was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Both Miller and Standefer work for LaPorte District Maintenance Area 2.
The LaPorte County-Indiana State Police say tollroad workers' pickup truck had on warning lights and a lit arrow board. There were also warning signs leading up to where Miller and Standefer were working.
Both vehicles were totaled, according to the Indiana State Police.
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year