Gun buyback program held in Gary
December 29, 2012 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- The city of Gary, Ind., hosted a gun buy-back program Saturday.
For turning in hand guns, shot guns and rifles, participants received a $50 Walmart gift card. Assault weapons got participants a $100 gift card.
Gary police said they collected a total of 68 weapons. Of the 68 collected, 51 were handguns. Twelve rifles, four shotguns and an assault rifle were also turned in.
The buy-back program hours were scheduled from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at multiple locations: Grace United, Beyond 4 Walls Christian Center, New Beginnings Fellowship, Trinity Missionary Baptist and Pilgrim Baptist churches.
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout