Gary, Indiana lays off about a dozen emergency medical workers
January 10, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- The City of Gary laid off about a dozen of its emergency medical workers.
Some of the EMT turned in their gear Thursday at Gary's Public Safety Center.
One worker said a police officer delivered her termination letter just before January 1.
The union representing the laid off employees, the SEIU, says the workers were wrongly terminated.
Gary said the cuts were made because of budget issues and that they'll notify the fired EMTs of any other opportunities for city employment.
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans