Gary, Indiana lays off about a dozen emergency medical workers
January 10, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- The City of Gary laid off about a dozen of its emergency medical workers.
Some of the EMT turned in their gear Thursday at Gary's Public Safety Center.
One worker said a police officer delivered her termination letter just before January 1.
The union representing the laid off employees, the SEIU, says the workers were wrongly terminated.
Gary said the cuts were made because of budget issues and that they'll notify the fired EMTs of any other opportunities for city employment.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates