Gary, Indiana lays off about a dozen emergency medical workers
January 10, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- The City of Gary laid off about a dozen of its emergency medical workers.
Some of the EMT turned in their gear Thursday at Gary's Public Safety Center.
One worker said a police officer delivered her termination letter just before January 1.
The union representing the laid off employees, the SEIU, says the workers were wrongly terminated.
Gary said the cuts were made because of budget issues and that they'll notify the fired EMTs of any other opportunities for city employment.
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24 5 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: See Jennifer Lawrence's 'X-Men' Look 13 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
5 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos