Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax shocks cancer fundraiser
January 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A man inspired to raise money for cancer research following the death of Manti Teo's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, says he is ''shell-shocked'' to find out it was a hoax.
Dan Tudesco set up an online account at fundraising website indiegogo.com on Jan. 9. His goal was to raise $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in memory of Lennay Kekua.
Te'o has said Kekua died of leukemia last fall. But online site Deadspin.com said Wednesday she didn't exist, and Notre Dame officials say Te'o was the victim of a hoax.
Tudesco says he wanted to turn Notre Dame's national championship loss into a positive by raising money for the cause.
He says the more than $4,300 raised will still go to the leukemia group.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police chase in Lincoln Park may have hurt officer 9 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
39 min ago