Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax shocks cancer fundraiser
January 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A man inspired to raise money for cancer research following the death of Manti Teo's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, says he is ''shell-shocked'' to find out it was a hoax.
Dan Tudesco set up an online account at fundraising website indiegogo.com on Jan. 9. His goal was to raise $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in memory of Lennay Kekua.
Te'o has said Kekua died of leukemia last fall. But online site Deadspin.com said Wednesday she didn't exist, and Notre Dame officials say Te'o was the victim of a hoax.
Tudesco says he wanted to turn Notre Dame's national championship loss into a positive by raising money for the cause.
He says the more than $4,300 raised will still go to the leukemia group.
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney 18 min ago
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- Woman injured in Chicago Skyway crash
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without authorization
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- CTA bus crash in Chicago Lawn injures 2
- Pritzker's Commerce Secretary confirmation hearing begins
- Brian Urlacher retires from NFL after career with Chicago Bears
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- Northlake man to be sentenced after kids found tied
- Jurors to resume deliberations at Trump trial 53 min ago
- 24 sets of twins break record in Wilmette 5th grade
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos