Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax shocks cancer fundraiser
January 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A man inspired to raise money for cancer research following the death of Manti Teo's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, says he is ''shell-shocked'' to find out it was a hoax.
Dan Tudesco set up an online account at fundraising website indiegogo.com on Jan. 9. His goal was to raise $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in memory of Lennay Kekua.
Te'o has said Kekua died of leukemia last fall. But online site Deadspin.com said Wednesday she didn't exist, and Notre Dame officials say Te'o was the victim of a hoax.
Tudesco says he wanted to turn Notre Dame's national championship loss into a positive by raising money for the cause.
He says the more than $4,300 raised will still go to the leukemia group.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation