Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax shocks cancer fundraiser
January 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A man inspired to raise money for cancer research following the death of Manti Teo's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, says he is ''shell-shocked'' to find out it was a hoax.
Dan Tudesco set up an online account at fundraising website indiegogo.com on Jan. 9. His goal was to raise $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in memory of Lennay Kekua.
Te'o has said Kekua died of leukemia last fall. But online site Deadspin.com said Wednesday she didn't exist, and Notre Dame officials say Te'o was the victim of a hoax.
Tudesco says he wanted to turn Notre Dame's national championship loss into a positive by raising money for the cause.
He says the more than $4,300 raised will still go to the leukemia group.
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 2 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 21 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand