Ind. teen victim's dad testifies at murder trial
February 5, 2013 (VALPARAISO, Ind.) (WLS) -- In Valparaiso, Indiana, the murder trial of Dustin McCowan is under way. He's accused of killing 19-year-old Amanda Bach in September of 2011.
Her father was the first witness called by the prosecution. William Bach was the first witness to take the stand during Tuesday's trial.
"He couldn't look me in the eyes," William Bach said. "I felt suspicious."
That's the way William Bach described a face-to-face conversation he had with McCowan hours after his teenage daughter went missing in the early morning hours of September 16, 2011 from Union Township, Indiana, just outside Valparaiso.
It's taken nearly a year and a half for this case to come to trial. McCowan stands accused of murdering his on-and-off girlfriend. The case has attracted a lot of attention. McCowan is the son of a Crown Point police officer.
Amanda Bach's body was found the next day alongside train tracks just 300 yards from McCowan's home. She'd been shot once in the neck.
From the start, McCowan said Amanda Bach had been with him prior to going missing, but denied any involvement in her disappearance. During opening statements, prosecutors said they have evidence that proves McCowan shot Amanda Bach with his father's missing gun, then dragged her body to where it was found.
But defense attorneys said there was "gross negligence during the investigation.... Police assumed it was Dustin and never looked back."
Defense attorneys also pointed out that there is no physical evidence, DNA or otherwise, that links McCowan to the murder.
Relatives for both McCowan's and Bach's families left the courthouse without comment.
indiana news, michelle gallardo
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind.
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- Chicago bridges lift as sailboats begin journey to harbors
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos