Merrillville boy's shooting part of gang initiation, police say
April 2, 2013 (MERRILLVILLE, Ind.) (WLS) -- The family of a teenage boy shot and killed through the window of his northwest Indiana home spoke out for the first time Tuesday.
Four suspects are now charged with murder and gang activity connected to the fatal shooting of 14-year-old Depree Mims.
The shooting took place last week at the teen's home in Merrillville.
The family says Mims was a perfect child.
"He didn't deserve this," said Depree Dalton, the victim's father.
Dalton said his 14-year-old son was killed by one of six gunshots fired through the front window of their home in the 7500-block of Marshall in Merrillville last Wednesday as the family was getting ready to watch a movie in the living room.
Depree Mims was shot in the head and died Friday, his father said.
Mims was one of eight children.
"He was the best brother that anybody could have," said Depreecia Mims, Depree's sister. "You just feel like a dream, like, why would you take my brother out of all people?"
Facing charges are 18-year-old Kevin Dale Brown, 22-year-old Anthony Paul Addison and his brother 21-year-old Joshua Nathaniel Addison, and 16-year-old Matthew Knight, who is charged as an adult in the fatal shooting of Depree Mims.
"I know God is gonna take care of them," Dalton said.
Depree Mims would have been 15 next month.
Police believe the shooting was part of a gang initiation.
indiana news, theresa gutierrez
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos