Suspect questioned in connection to murder of Mary Austgen
April 24, 2013 (ALSIP, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police question a suspect in the kidnapping and murder of a woman whose body was found in the parking lot of a casino in Gary.
The suspect is from Alsip, a man in his late 50s, perhaps early 60s. He was also known to rent garage space in Indiana to work on cars.
Wednesday night, police and investigators are not saying whether or not the suspect rented space from the victim, Mary Austgen.
An Alsip man who is in custody at the Griffith Police Department is expected to be charged for the shooting death of Austgen.
"I spoke with the police chief a while ago," said Griffith Vice President Rick Ryfa. "He had informed us that they do expect to file charges with the Lake County prosecutor, most likely (Thursday)."
The break in the case comes after police released pictures of Austgen's rings earlier this week. Those who rent garage space at Austgen's Griffith business are relieved.
"She was a sweet lady, she didn't deserve what she got. And I'm glad that they got him," said Don Kors.
"It's definitely good that they caught the guy, very happy," said Dan Schwader
Police say an armed gunman abducted the 76-year-old grandmother from her business March 28th. The next day, she was found dead inside her SUV at the Majestic Star Casino.
At that time, police released surveillance pictures of a man they wanted to question.
A tip this week led authorities to an Alsip home Tuesday afternoon.
At about 5:30, 6 they come out with their guns running toward the house down here and brought somebody out in cuffs," said Kevin Piekarski.
And police still want to talk to someone who may have driven to the casino, possibly to pick-up the suspect.
"Whoever is in that black, four-door vehicle, we would like to speak to that person," said Lt. Matt Argadine, Griffith Police Detective.
The black vehicle may be a BMW, according to police. There was a tip that led to the suspect and investigators are hoping someone knows more about that black vehicle.
indiana news, karen jordan
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos