17 puppies found on Ind. road up for adoption next week at Lakeshore PAWS
May 13, 2013 (VALPARAISO, Ind.) (WLS) -- More than a dozen puppies that were picked up on a Porter County, Ind., road will be put up for adoption.
Karen Read points out the spot along the road where she found the little puppies. Nine of them, along with an adult dog presumed to be the mother of at least some of them. The person who left them sped off as Read approached.
Read gathered the puppies in her SUV and called her husband who found eight more of the puppies nearby.
They waited until animal control officers arrived to bring them to a Valparaiso shelter.
The vet believes the puppies are about 6 to 8 weeks old, and are a lab, shepard and possibly Rottweiler mix.
They appear mostly healthy. She has no idea why someone would dump them in the side of the road.
Read and her family already have two dogs, so while they say they are tempted to adopt some of these, they say it's not a good idea.
The puppies will be available for adoption at Lakeshore PAWS on Saturday. To find out more about adoption, visit lakeshorepaws.org or call (219) 476 PAWS (7297).
indiana news, john garcia
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake