Officials: 3 people confirmed dead after shooting in Gary, Ind.
June 23, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Officials said three people were found shot to death in Gary, Ind., shortly after midnight Sunday.
The victims' bodies were found in the 5800 block of 13th Place, Gary police said.
The deceased have been identified by the Lake County Coroner as Antonio Dove, 27; Briean Jiles, 22; and Michael Andrews, 34.
Witness Gloria Andrews, who identified herself as the mother of the one of the deceased, said she heard about 15 gunshots, then the sounds of women screaming and crying. She then saw police cars and the bodies outside of a home.
"I called 911 and they did come. I came out the back door and noticed a lot of gunshots and then three bodies on the ground. One was my son," Andrews said.
By Sunday morning, the scene had been cleared, but a small memorial could be seen in front of a home.
Witnesses and family members said the incident stemmed from a conflict between two groups of people and resulted in a drive-by shooting, although police did not verify that information.
Family members say Jiles and Andrews were standing outside with friends when a car pulled up and shots were fired. They claim that one of the shooters also died.
While police did confirm those details or provide a motive, they did say there is no one in custody.
indiana news, diane pathieu
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 23 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment 9 min ago
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 8 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 35 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 37 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All