Driver dies after car plunges off South Bend overpass
July 8, 2013 (SOUTH BEND, Ind.) -- Northern Indiana police say a man died after his car flipped on a railroad overpass and plunged onto the tracks below.
Police say 53-year-old Michael J. Strantz died in Sunday night's crash in South Bend.
Investigators say Strantz' car was heading south on a city street when it took out a fence on the top of the bridge and then fell onto the tracks below.
A train was coming at the time, but the conductor was able to stop in time and call for help.
Police don't yet know what caused the car to leave the road. Investigators are looking for witnesses who may have seen the car go off the road.
South Bend Sgt. Bill Kraus tells WSBT-TV that the deadly incident is "an unusual one."
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 30 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 4 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
30 min ago