Boy rescued from Mount Baldy in Indiana Dunes off ventilator
July 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Nathan Woessner, 6, is breathing on his own, according to doctors.
Woessner was recovering at Comer Children's Hospital Thursday. He was rescued after being buried alive under sand on Mount Baldy in the Indiana Dunes last weekend.
"Nathan Woessner has been upgraded from critical and is now in serious condition," said Dr. Rachel Wolfson of Comer Children's Hospital. "He has been extubated, is recovering from sedation and continues to respond to commands."
The boy was with his parents on Friday, July 12, 2013, when he was swallowed by a sinkhole. He was buried under 11 feet of sand for three hours while crews worked to rescue him at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore near Michigan City, Ind.
Bruce Rowe, a public information officer with the National Park Service, said in a release Thursday that geologists with the Park Service's Geological Resources Division and geologists outisde the government who are experts in Great Lakes coastal dunes had not heard of anything like the dune collapse happening before.
Rowe said that once they have consulted with geologists at some other parks that have coastal sand dunes, they will study the dune with ground-sensing equipment. One test will look for anomalies below ground, and another test with ground penetrating radar will take a detailed look at any anomalies "to determine if they are holes or some other hazard."
It will be at least two weeks before a contract is in place for another agency or a private contractor to conduct the ground-sensing work, Rowe said.
lake michigan, indiana news
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 7 min ago
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4... 45 min ago
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room 52 min ago
- Beer lawsuit alleges hockey arena charged $3 more for same-size...
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M 3 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- 7 in :77
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
7 min ago