Boy rescued from Mount Baldy in Indiana Dunes off ventilator
July 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Nathan Woessner, 6, is breathing on his own, according to doctors.
Woessner was recovering at Comer Children's Hospital Thursday. He was rescued after being buried alive under sand on Mount Baldy in the Indiana Dunes last weekend.
"Nathan Woessner has been upgraded from critical and is now in serious condition," said Dr. Rachel Wolfson of Comer Children's Hospital. "He has been extubated, is recovering from sedation and continues to respond to commands."
The boy was with his parents on Friday, July 12, 2013, when he was swallowed by a sinkhole. He was buried under 11 feet of sand for three hours while crews worked to rescue him at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore near Michigan City, Ind.
Bruce Rowe, a public information officer with the National Park Service, said in a release Thursday that geologists with the Park Service's Geological Resources Division and geologists outisde the government who are experts in Great Lakes coastal dunes had not heard of anything like the dune collapse happening before.
Rowe said that once they have consulted with geologists at some other parks that have coastal sand dunes, they will study the dune with ground-sensing equipment. One test will look for anomalies below ground, and another test with ground penetrating radar will take a detailed look at any anomalies "to determine if they are holes or some other hazard."
It will be at least two weeks before a contract is in place for another agency or a private contractor to conduct the ground-sensing work, Rowe said.
lake michigan, indiana news
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates