Indiana News
Gary man James Proctor, 36, killed in apparent domestic dispute
August 11, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) -- A 36-year-old Gary man was shot to death early Saturday during an apparent domestic dispute involving a woman who was taken into custody, the Post-Tribune is reporting.
James Proctor, of the 600 block of Vermont Street, was pronounced dead at 3:15 a.m. in the 1800 block of East 20th Avenue, a news release from the Lake County coroner states. He had been shot five times, the release states.
Proctor is a former resident of Dorie Miller Housing Development who lived near the scene where he was shot.
Police arrested a 33-year-old woman who lives at the home where Proctor was killed. Detectives Cpl. Edward Gonzalez, Cpl. Jeff Hornyak and Simon Lillie are investigating the homicide. Lillie said the case would be presented to the prosecutor's office early this week.
Gary officers conducted a warrant sweep Friday through Dorie Miller Housing Development where Proctor was killed.
Gary Housing Authority worker Phillip Newson, 64, was shot in the neck Wednesday as he prepared to replace a blower motor in a unit on 21st Avenue. Investigators said they were waiting for Newson to undergo surgery to remove the bullet before they would know what kind of weapon was used. Witnesses said an occupant of a passing car fired at Newson then fled the scene.
Proctor is the 34th homicide of the year in Gary, compared to 27 at this time in 2012.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2013.)
indiana news
- Deerfield issues boil order over contaminated water
- Crestwood mayor, soccer team battle over field
- ABC7 Chicago's WATCH ABC app
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wheaton Police looking for man who followed teen girl
- Chicago church group to sue KY hotel over bedbugs
- Teen girl missing from Little Village neighborhood
- Dozens of cats left outside NW Indiana shelter
- Jesse Jackson Jr. submits prison location preferences
- Jacob Nodarse sentenced in Darien triple murder
- Lucas, Hobson announce arrival of baby girl
- NFL, Bears announce new Soldier Field bags policy
- Photos: Sinkhole swallows part of Florida resort
- abcnews: Joe Biden Going to Iowa, too
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos
- abc7chicago.com home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., WLS-TV/DT Chicago, IL. All Rights Reserved.




