Michael Jackson's hometown Gary, Ind. hosts 3-day celebration
August 29, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A three-day celebration of singer Michael Jackson's life is underway in his hometown. His mother and two sons attended the kickoff.
It's taking place outside the Gary, Indiana home where Jackson lived as a child.
Organizers say Jackson's mother Katherine wanted to give back to the Jackson's home town while honoring her son. She watched Thursday's performers along with her grandsons, Prince and Blanket.
A photo exhibit that includes rare images of Michael Jackson and The Jackson Five has also opened this week in Gary. Thursday would have been the King of Pop's 55th birthday.
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans