Michael Jackson's hometown Gary, Ind. hosts 3-day celebration
August 29, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A three-day celebration of singer Michael Jackson's life is underway in his hometown. His mother and two sons attended the kickoff.
It's taking place outside the Gary, Indiana home where Jackson lived as a child.
Organizers say Jackson's mother Katherine wanted to give back to the Jackson's home town while honoring her son. She watched Thursday's performers along with her grandsons, Prince and Blanket.
A photo exhibit that includes rare images of Michael Jackson and The Jackson Five has also opened this week in Gary. Thursday would have been the King of Pop's 55th birthday.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days
- Midlothian store allegedly burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos