Propane believed cause of Lowell home explosion
September 11, 2013 (LOWELL, Ind.) -- Investigators are looking at a large propane storage tank as the possible source of a deadly house explosion in rural northwestern Indiana.
Lake County Sheriff John Buncich said Tuesday that state and local fire investigators are looking for records on the propane tank at the house near Lowell. The explosion Monday night killed 43-year-old neighbor Victor Strain.
Patty McLane of Avon tells The Times of Munster and the Post-Tribune that Strain helped watch her father's house after he recently moved into a nursing home. McLane says the explosion happened as her brother was on the phone with Strain, who was checking on something suspicious.
Buncich says Strain apparently thought he saw something at the back of the home and the blast happened when he opened the door.
- Nelson Mandela dead at age 95 26 min ago
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment 48 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 14 min ago
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune 2:05 AM 37 min ago
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
- 2 men charged in Homewood bank robbery
- Illinois governor signs pension overhaul into law
- Cops: Woman, 51, who hit 3 cars in West Loop was high
- Chicagoan dies in 1-car Skokie tree crash
- Rose calls meniscus tear a 'freak accident'
- Lake Zurich Salvation Army kettle gets $5,200 in gold coins
- Bears' Cutler, Briggs out vs Cowboys
- Richard Gillman gets 4 years in prison, 2 years of probation in...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
14 min ago
- Nelson Mandela dead at age 95
26 min ago
- Woman says doc posted ER photos on social...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos