Infant hurt in Gary lightning strike on ventilator, grandma says
September 20, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A 10-month-old girl who was injured after a lightning strike sparked a fire in Gary, Ind., remains hospitalized at Comer Children's Hospital in Chicago.
Ariel Johnson is on a ventilator after suffering from smoke inhalation, according to her grandmother, Carolyn Payne.
Ariel's babysitter, Jackie Allen, 42, was killed in the fire on Thursday..
In a separate lightning strike during the same storm, 28-year-old Angelo Santucci was struck by lightning while working on a billboard in Gary.
Payne says the child was supposed to be in the care of her foster mother.
"The provider left Ariel with her son, her adult son, and unbeknowing to her when she got home, lightning had struck, which is a natural disaster - but still - why was she left with this guy?" Payne asked.
Payne says she cannot obtain custody of her granddaughter and Ariel's 3-year-old brother because she is not a resident of Indiana.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...