Infant hurt in Gary lightning strike on ventilator, grandma says
September 20, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A 10-month-old girl who was injured after a lightning strike sparked a fire in Gary, Ind., remains hospitalized at Comer Children's Hospital in Chicago.
Ariel Johnson is on a ventilator after suffering from smoke inhalation, according to her grandmother, Carolyn Payne.
Ariel's babysitter, Jackie Allen, 42, was killed in the fire on Thursday..
In a separate lightning strike during the same storm, 28-year-old Angelo Santucci was struck by lightning while working on a billboard in Gary.
Payne says the child was supposed to be in the care of her foster mother.
"The provider left Ariel with her son, her adult son, and unbeknowing to her when she got home, lightning had struck, which is a natural disaster - but still - why was she left with this guy?" Payne asked.
Payne says she cannot obtain custody of her granddaughter and Ariel's 3-year-old brother because she is not a resident of Indiana.
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash 18 min ago
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson 1 min ago
- Mariola Zapalski wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 3 min ago
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake