Indiana News

Some unhappy with Ind.'s group home closures

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Some northwestern Indiana residents are questioning a state agency's actions in moving disabled people from nearly two dozen recently shuttered group homes.

Twenty-two supervised group homes operated by The Arc of Northwest Indiana that housed 90 disabled residents were closed by the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration on Oct. 3 due to health and safety issues.

Louise Anderson tells the Post-Tribune no one told her about plans to move her 27-year-old grandson out of a Crown Point group home to Indianapolis.

Anderson says she wishes there had been more of an effort made to place residents locally.

FSSA spokesman Jim Gavin said the agency tried to arrange for the residents to stay near families when possible, but prioritized a client's immediate health and safety over anything else.

(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Indiana News »


Tags:
indiana news
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement