Gary man, 46, dies in Griffith moped crash
October 23, 2013 (GRIFFITH, Ind.) (WLS) -- A Gary man driving a moped died when he was pinned underneath a vehicle in a crash early Wednesday in northwest Indiana.
Edward Lundgren, 46, was riding west on Ridge Road at Broad Street in Griffith just before 6 a.m. when he lost control and was thrown from the moped, according to a statement from the Lake County (Ind.) Sheriff's Office.
He landed in the westbound lanes of Ridge Road where he was hit by a 2012 Chevy Cruze driven by a 60-year-old Crown Point man, police said.
Lundgren, who was wearing a helmet at the time, was pinned underneath the car, and police had to remove a shoe to check his pulse, the statement said. The care was jacked up by the Griffith Fire Department to free him, but he was pronounced dead on the scene.
Icy conditions were a factor in the crash, according to police. The sheriff's office is investigating.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home