Gary man, 46, dies in Griffith moped crash
October 23, 2013 (GRIFFITH, Ind.) (WLS) -- A Gary man driving a moped died when he was pinned underneath a vehicle in a crash early Wednesday in northwest Indiana.
Edward Lundgren, 46, was riding west on Ridge Road at Broad Street in Griffith just before 6 a.m. when he lost control and was thrown from the moped, according to a statement from the Lake County (Ind.) Sheriff's Office.
He landed in the westbound lanes of Ridge Road where he was hit by a 2012 Chevy Cruze driven by a 60-year-old Crown Point man, police said.
Lundgren, who was wearing a helmet at the time, was pinned underneath the car, and police had to remove a shoe to check his pulse, the statement said. The care was jacked up by the Griffith Fire Department to free him, but he was pronounced dead on the scene.
Icy conditions were a factor in the crash, according to police. The sheriff's office is investigating.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 6 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...