Gary man, 46, dies in Griffith moped crash
October 23, 2013 (GRIFFITH, Ind.) (WLS) -- A Gary man driving a moped died when he was pinned underneath a vehicle in a crash early Wednesday in northwest Indiana.
Edward Lundgren, 46, was riding west on Ridge Road at Broad Street in Griffith just before 6 a.m. when he lost control and was thrown from the moped, according to a statement from the Lake County (Ind.) Sheriff's Office.
He landed in the westbound lanes of Ridge Road where he was hit by a 2012 Chevy Cruze driven by a 60-year-old Crown Point man, police said.
Lundgren, who was wearing a helmet at the time, was pinned underneath the car, and police had to remove a shoe to check his pulse, the statement said. The care was jacked up by the Griffith Fire Department to free him, but he was pronounced dead on the scene.
Icy conditions were a factor in the crash, according to police. The sheriff's office is investigating.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Refinery fire after possible explosion
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary 53 min ago
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction 42 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy
- 7 in :77