Gary Marathon kicks off for first time
October 27, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Organizers in a northwest Indiana town say it's an alternative to Chicago's marathon and a great way to show off their city, as Sunday morning, Gary hosted its first-ever marathon.
With just over 500 participants the first ever Dawn of the Dunes Gary Marathon, half marathon and 5k got underway in Marquette Park Sunday morning. It was a chilly start but runners were excited to get going.
"I thought I'd get out. Nothing else to do on a Sunday morning," said runner Harley Tom.
"We just wanted to get in on the race and make it part of our tradition as a family," said 5K runner Melissa Gronendyke.
Once the center of a booming steel industry, Gary has been on a steady decline for decades. It does not seem like a natural place to host a marathon. But organizers say that's exactly why they decided to launch this race to show people the other face of Gary.
"At first people thought I was crazy. 'A marathon in Gary, are you sure?' 'Yeah, you have to come, you have to come run it and see what's really there,'" said Tom Taylor, Cause to Compete.
Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson says her hope is the race will bring more people to Gary's lakefront.
"We're building ambassadors to go out, to say to others, 'I went to Gary, had a race, whether it was a marathon, a half marathon, a 5K and we had a wonderful time,'" she said.
The response from runners was exactly what organizers wanted to hear.
"We live here in Miller, so it's great to see a lot of people run around the area," runner Doug Finck said. "It's a beautiful area. It's great to see something in our hometown."
"Awesome course. Beautiful, fast, great time. I look forward to doing it every year," said runner Chris Swisteck.
"I think it was wonderful," runner Anne Murray-Docter said. "It was organized very well for a first year. The setting is beautiful, the parking was great."
The hope, of course, is that enough people will be excited about this race that they will want to do it again next year so that this can become a yearly event.
indiana news, michelle gallardo
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 1 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 6 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 40 min ago
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics 50 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos