Fire destroys Gary, Indiana church, vacant building
December 5, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Officials say a fire that destroyed a Gary, Ind., church and vacant building may be suspicious.
No one was injured Wednesday night when the fire broke out in the vacant building that was once an apartment complex and hotel on 8th Avenue. Flames spread next door to God's House of Prayer, which has a congregation of 25 full-time members and used as a temporary warming shelter and refuge for the hungry and homeless.
''This was a lifeline in the community for many people,'' Pastor Atte Eskew said. ''It's a devastating kind of thing but things like this do happen, we have to get up and keep moving forward so we just believe in God."
Gary Deputy Fire Chief Mark Jones said the vacant building was once the Plaza Hotel. ''They actually shot a movie here years ago, the original gangsters as a matter of fact,'' he said.
The building collapsed in just a few hours. Demolition crews will knock it down.
''As far as the ministry, it seems like there is nothing left, however when I came here and looked and saw the torn sign, it's burnt but there is still hope,'' she said.
Pastor Eskew said the fire was an emotional loss for her congregation, but they are not defeated. They plan to move to a new location. To help God's House of Prayer, call:
indiana news, jason knowles
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 27 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 22 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 1 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 48 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
27 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
22 min ago