Family of Hammond fire victims share story
January 12, 2014 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- Two young brothers injured in a house fire in Hammond, Indiana are now out of the hospital and their family is sharing their story.
Six-year-old Isaiah Sammon and 2-year-old Evian Young are doing well after they were saved by their father, but three other children, 7-month-old Jayden, 3-year-old Alexis and 4-year-old Dasani Young died in the blaze Wednesday night.
Fire officials say a space heater is likely to blame.
The children's grandmother says their mother had tried to get heat for their apartment.
"When it was cut off she went to the Salvation Army, put money into account to have it paid up and it wasn't enough," Stephanie Pittman said. "I don't understand why. They had a disabled child, give them a break."
The children's father, 27-year-old Andre Young, remains in critical condition with injuries he suffered trying to rescue his children.
- Boy critical after 90 minutes underwater in pond
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 38 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mumps outbreak reported across Illinois 4 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
31 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos