Car shot in second I-80/94 road rage shooting in days
January 20, 2014 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A woman's car was hit with multiple bullets in a road rage incident on a busy Chicago-area expressway.
It happened in northwest Indiana and was the second time road rage led to gunfire on that expressway in less than a week.
Police say they don't think the two incidents are connected, but nonetheless, they are raising concerns.
According police, the bullet hole in the back bumper of a Chrysler 300 is just one of four or five shots fired at the car whose driver says she was just going slow to avoid potholes Sunday at approximately 9 p.m.
The 33-year-old Lansing woman tells police she was driving on 25th Avenue near Burr in Gary, on a stretch of the street where potholes are so bad that people drive on the wrong side of the road. The woman was taking it slow, and that's when she says the driver of another car started tailgating her, she said. She bumped the brakes to try to shake him off, but by the time the two got onto westbound Interstate 80-94, the other driver -- who was in a red, four-door car -- was so enraged that he pulled up alongside her and opened fire. The woman was not hit.
Just four days earlier on the same highway near Lake Station, another driver was not so lucky. Police say in that case, another angry driver shot a man through the rear of his pick-up truck. A bullet hit that driver in the back.
"It does cause concern. I'm a female. I do drive at night, and I am a slow driver. I just hope that people are being conscious because that could happen to a family member of friend," driver Ebony Gray said.
"This is really crazy what's going on here on the highways. We've had the road rage once in a while but far and few -- nothing like it has been," said Richard Talmadge, who has worked near the shooting scene for 20 years.
So far, state police say there is nothing to suggest the two shootings involve the same gunman. They were driving different vehicles.
indiana news, ben bradley
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court 43 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 37 min ago
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos