Indiana Weather: I-65 closed in southern Indiana due to snow, strong winds
January 21, 2014 ( SEYMOUR, Ind.) -- State highway officials have closed a 60-mile stretch of Interstate 65 in southern Indiana because slick conditions.
Dangerous Cold: How to prepare for winter storms, extreme cold | Winter driving tips | Health, safety tips | Protecting your pets | What you need in your car | What you need to do at home | Chicago Warming Centers
Officials say Tuesday's snowfall and gusty winds had contributed to several crashes along I-65. All lanes are being closed from exit 16 at Memphis near Louisville, Ky., and exit 76 at Taylorsville, just north of Columbus.
Dozens of school districts across southern and central Indiana announced closures on Tuesday, while many others delayed their openings.
The National Weather Service reports the heaviest snowfall was about 4 inches in Seymour, but winds gusting to 30 mph were causing more troubles. Those gusts have been causing snow drifts on many rural roads.
The weather service issued a lake-effect snow warning for northwestern Indiana, where more than a foot of snow is possible in isolated areas.
- 5 injured after truck crashes into grocery store 41 min ago
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 2 min ago
- City: Kup statue not stolen, out for repairs 45 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Western closed St. Paul to Mofftt over weekend 5 min ago
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession 33 min ago
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake 3 min ago