Jason Cozmanoff gets 12 years in hit-and-run that killed jail guard Britney Meux
February 7, 2014 (LAKE COUNTY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A northwest Indiana man learned his fate Friday for hitting and killing a corrections officer and then driving away when Britney Meux was struck and killed nearly two years ago as she jogged with co-workers.
The 12 years Jason Cozmanoff will spend behind bars are made up of several back-to-back sentences. It's what the state wanted.
But several family members in court to support Meux and the surviving officers are not satisfied.
"Britney's gone," said Debbie Standerski. "There's a baby that doesn't have a mom. I don't think 12 years was enough."
Latasha Johnson, David Murchek and Delano Scaife declined to speak on camera, but said in court they have suffered depression, anxiety and nightmares from the accident.
Britney's mother described her heartbreak that Britney's daughter will never know her mother.
As for Cozmanoff, the victims called him remorseless, while he offered them his first apology before being sentenced.
Cozmanoff was convicted of reckless homicide, criminal recklessness and 11 other counts in December 2013. On Friday, he was sentenced on six charges, because, under law, some charges had to be merged.
Cozmanoff was driving his GMC Yukon past the Lake County Government Center on 93rd Avenue at more than twice the speed limit when his car hit four officers in March 2012. Meux, 25, was killed. He fled the scene. The judge called those "aggravating factors" in his decision about the sentence.
The sentence breaks down to four years for reckless homicide in Meux's death; four years for criminal recklessness for causing injuries to the three other officers; and four years for failure to stop at the scene of an accident. Those sentences will be served consecutively.
He was also sentenced to six months for reckless driving, but that will be served concurrently.
Meux, a former Marine and new mom, was described as spirited, personable and smart.
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake